Flyer Distribution Guidelines
The Ithaca City School District recognizes the importance of working alongside its community in support of non-profit events and opportunities that are tailored to engage our students and their families. To make this process easier for our community and to help ensure non-profit flyers are circulated effectively, we offer the following guidelines.
Guidelines to creating a flyer that the ICSD can distribute to students:
- The flyer must be advertising an event or opportunity that is sponsored by a not-for-profit group that can furnish documentation as a nonprofit organization by the Internal Revenue Service. The ICSD may not distribute or post flyers for garage sales, parking lot sales, or sales, events, and offers happening in affiliation with for-profit companies.
- The flyer must contain the ICSD disclaimer statement. The disclaimer is as follows and can be printed in any font or size as long as it is visible. The disclaimer is as follows:
These materials are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the superintendent, or this school.
- The flyer must not contain material that would:
- promote illegal discrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin or ethnicity, or disability;
- promote illegal activity for minors;
- contain words, symbols, or images that would be regarded as lewd, obscene, vulgar, or plainly offensive if communicated by a student on school grounds;
- defame a person or organization; or
- threaten serious disruption of a school or school-sponsored activity.
Guidelines to distributing a flyer to our schools:
- The flyer must first be approved by the district before it can be distributed. Proofs of flyers should be submitted for approval a minimum of two weeks before it is to be distributed. Proofs should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are responsible for distributing your flyer to our schools. Use of the ICSD Inter-Office Mail Services and its BOCES is prohibited.
- You must contact each ICSD elementary school for information on how many flyers will be needed to distribute to each student. The ICSD's middle schools, high school, and its alternative school will only allow you to post your flyer on designated walls for advertising community events.
- You will be required to show a copy of your flyer to each school secretary to show that you have prepared it using the above three steps.
As required by federal law, the district will not deny an outside non-profit organization the opportunity to distribute or display promotional material because the offered program, activity, or event will be provided from a religious, philosophical, or political perspective.