NYSPHSAA To Delay Fall Sports Start Date & Cancel Fall Championships
On July 16, the NYSPHSAA voted to delay the official start date of the Fall 2020 sports season, cancel the Fall 2020 Regional and State Championships and prepare to implement a condensed season schedule in January 2021 if high school sports remain prohibited throughout 2020 due to COVID-19.
“As the state considers reopening, it is unrealistic to believe athletic seasons can start on August 24th as originally scheduled,” said Paul Harrica, NYSPHSAA President. “The priority will continue to be on the educational process and a return to learning in the safest way possible.”The NYSPHSAA Officers’ decision comes at the recommendation of the NYSPHSAA COVID-19 Task Force and includes:
- Delay Fall sports start date until Monday, September 21st
- Cancel Fall Regional and State Championship events
- Waive seven-day practice rule
- Maintain current practice requirements
- Encourage geographic scheduling for games & contests
- Schools would have the option, if permitted by state officials, to offer off-season conditioning workouts. The Condensed Season plan would entail the following, with the stipulated dates being tentative.
Condensed Seasons PlanWith regional differences, schools and areas will be impacted differently by the COVID-19 crisis. At the discretion of the NYSPHSAA Officers and authorization from state officials, if the fall sports seasons are interrupted or impacted by COVID-19 crisis (i.e. state official guidance, school closings, cancelation of high-risk sports, etc.) then a condensed seasons plan will be implemented. This plan would entail the following, with the stipulated dates being tentative:
- Season I (Winter Sports)
January 4 - March 13
Note: Because of high risk nature of wrestling and competitive cheer, sports may have to be moved to Season II or season III.
- Season II (Fall Sports)
March 1 - May 8
Note: Weather will have an impact upon outdoor sports in some parts of the state in March and potentially early April. Girls tennis moved to Season III.
- Season III (Spring Sports)
April 5 - June 12