Skip to main content
Ithaca Schools - click for home 
Ithaca City Schools - click for home

Qualifying Events for a Special Enrollment Period

The following is a non-comprehensive list of events that can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.

Note: All requests for adding dependents MUST be completed within 60 days of the qualifying event.

Life Events
  • Marriage
  • Having a baby; adopting a child; or placing a child for foster care
  • Divorce or legal separation that results in loss of health insurance
    Note: divorce or legal separation that does not result in loss of health insurance is not a qualifying event
  • Death of an individual on your plan that results in your loss of eligibility for coverage
Changes in Residence
  • Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
  • Moving to the United States from a foreign country or United States territory
  • If you're a student, moving to or from the place you attend school
  • If you're a seasonal worker, moving to or from the place you both live and work
  • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

Important: You must prove you had a health coverage for one or more days during the 60 days before your move. You don't need to provide proof if you're moving from a foreign country or United States territory. 

Loss of Health Insurance
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you or anyone in your household lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expects to lose coverage in the next 60 days. 
  • Losing job-based coverage
  • Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself
  • Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare
  • Losing coverage through a family member