Qualifying Events for a Special Enrollment Period
The following is a non-comprehensive list of events that can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.
Note: all requests for adding dependents MUST be completed within 60 days of the qualifying event.
- Having a baby; adopting a child; or placing a child for foster care
- Divorce or legal separation that results in loss of health insurance
Note: divorce or legal separation that does not result in loss of health insurance is not a qualifying event
- Death of an individual on your plan that results in your loss of eligibility for coverage
Changes in Residence
- Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
- Moving to the United States from a foreign country or United States territory
- If you're a student, moving to or from the place you attend school
- If you're a seasonal worker, moving to or from the place you both live and work
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing
Loss of Health Insurance
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you or anyone in your household lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expects to lose coverage in the next 60 days.
- Losing job-based coverage
- Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself
- Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
- Losing eligibility for Medicare
- Losing coverage through a family member