Course Selection Process 2023-2024Dear IHS Students and Families,
This letter provides an overview of the Course Selection process at IHS for the 2023-24 school year. In the coming months, School Counselors will meet individually with each student to review their transcript, discuss course preferences, and input these preferences into SchoolTool.
Each grade level will receive an overview of the Scheduling Process from the team of School Counselors during select PE courses. Counselors will also be available for drop-in questions during Universal Lunch as announced.
Here is an overview of when to expect each student’s meeting by grade level:
Grade 11 Student Meetings: approximately mid January through mid February
Grade 10 Student Meetings: approximately mid February through mid March
Grade 9 Student Meetings: approximately mid March through mid April
Meeting appointments are sent to students via Google calendar invitation and will be emailed about one week in advance of the student’s appointment time. It is important that students monitor their ICSD email in order to attend the meeting with their School Counselor. Appointments will be in-person in Student Services (J Building) unless otherwise specified. If a student misses their appointment, the School Counselor will notify the student and caregiver by email with proposed course selections based on a transcript review and teacher recommendations. Students will still have the option to make changes to their selections by emailing their Counselor. If you have questions about your appointment time, please contact Student Services Secretary, Jacki Aman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 607-274-2157.
In order to prepare for your individualized appointment, please consider the following:
- Review graduation requirements, teacher recommendations, and Program of Studies for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Find teacher recommendations on SchoolTool under the student portal. On SchoolTool, go to the Grades tab, and select Progress Report Grades and Quarter 2: TchRec on the drop down menus to access teacher recommendations. If you have a question regarding your recommendations, we encourage you to have a conversation with your teacher.
- For those students who are interested in TST BOCES Career and Technical Education programs (grade 11 & 12) and the New Visions (grade 12) programs, please notify your School Counselor by email as soon as possible.
- IHS will have an assembly for Grade 10 students on Friday, February 3 during period 3 in Kulp Auditorium to provide an overview of options. There will also be a visit day IHS field trip to BOCES on Thursday, March 2. More information will be shared in preparation for these events.
- Use the Course Selection Sheet 2023-24 to see the full list of offerings for next year, and use the 4 Year Planning & Course Request Worksheet (also in the 2023-24 PoS) as a template to list your course preferences in preparation for your School Counselor meeting. Please keep in mind that the students will not be inputting their own courses into SchoolTool (see more under Step Three), as Counselors will be supporting this entry so students can focus on their academic choices.
- To enter your course preferences and share them with your School Counselor, please use the link to access the Course Request Google Form.
- Students must use their ICSD email account and may make one submission per email account. You can go through the form without submitting it to familiarize yourself with the form and courses. Submission should be a reflection of your finalized course requests before meeting with your Counselor.
The final deadline to make any course selection changes will be May 1, 2023. After this date, no changes will be permitted. If you have any questions or need any support, we are always happy to help!
Sincerely,Ithaca High School Counselors
Tara O'Malley, Cb-Gq
Tiffany Pena, Gr-La
Charmine Warriner, Lb-Ot
Ben Wilson, Ou-Sim AVID 12
Chad Rylott, Sin-Z
Course IDs 2023-2024
IHS Program of Studies 2023-2024
Viewing Teacher Recommendations and Entering Selections in SchoolTool
NYS Graduation Requirements
Career and Technical Education (CTE)
TST BOCES Programs
New Visions Program