TWO-HOUR DELAY PROCEDURE:
On these days, parents are encouraged to develop a plan so their children can safely stay home for an additional two hours.
In the event that a two-hour delay is activated, the following procedures will be followed:
- Local news and radio stations will be contacted to report the delayed start, notices will be posted on the District website, Twitter and Facebook pages and emails will be sent to families using the SchoolMessenger system. Caregivers are encouraged to update their contact information in SchoolTool by contacting their school secretary.
- If conditions do not improve within two hours, classes may be cancelled for the entire day and the same methods of notification will be made.
- All bus routes will be delayed by exactly two hours (i.e. If your bus stop is normally at 8:37 a.m., it will be at 10:37 a.m. on delayed start days).
- All schools will start exactly two hours later than normal. Elementary students should arrive at school between 9:40 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Secondary school doors will open at 10:30 a.m. Students will follow a condensed bell schedule of all scheduled classes. There will be no zero period at Ithaca High School on two-hour delay days.
- Pre-K classes will NOT be held if a two-hour delay occurs on a Friday. This does not apply to Pre-K 12:45 dismissal classes.
- Simple breakfasts will be available to students when schools open and regular lunches will be served at modified times.
- Schools will be dismissed at their normal times at the end of the school day.
You can get up-to-date information about school closings on the ICSD homepage newsfeed, on our Twitter or Facebook page. The following local newspapers, radio and television stations also have information on emergency closings:
- WHCU 870AM/WYXL 97.3FM/ WQNY103.7FM/WNYY1470AM/
- WIII 99.9/100.3FM/HOTS 103.3 FM/The Vine 98.7FM
- WVBR (FM 93)
- WSYR (shared w/620WHEN)
- Y94FM, B104.7 and HOT 107.9
- WIXT (Ch9 Syracuse)
- WSKG FM/WSKG TV (Bing.)
- WICB FM 91.7
- WIQT-WQIX (Elmira)
- WSTM (Ch3)/WTVH (Ch5)
- WENY-TV (Elmira)
- WETM (Elmira/Corning)
- News 10 Now
- Ithaca Journal