ICSD students and staff were recognized Dec. 5 for their extraordinary achievements during the district’s quarterly commendation ceremony. During commendations, ICSD leadership and the Board of Education celebrate the achievements of top-performing student athletes and musicians, accomplished faculty and staff, and inspiring members of the ICSD community nominated by their peers.
Several students, staff members and groups were celebrated at the ceremony in Ithaca High School’s Kulp Auditorium, including:
- Andrew Mutolo, a Fall Creek Elementary School student, for inspiring students and staff.
- Vaynu Kadiyali, Justin Perry, Isaiah Gutman and Justin Tan of Ithaca High School’s Brain Team, who have qualified for two national quiz bowl tournaments in the spring.
- Twenty-one IHS students recognized as commended students in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program.
- The girls’ junior varsity soccer team, for their fall season accomplishments.
- The boys’ junior varsity soccer team, for winning the STAC championship.
- The boys’ varsity soccer team, for their sectional win.
- Cole Janda, for achieving the rank of Eagle Scout.
- Annabelle Riker, for earning the Girl Scouts Silver Award.
- Elise Kim, for being a varsity swim team state qualifier.
- Silas Derfel, for winning the New York State Class A cross country championship.
- Colby Gee, recognized as an outstanding teaching assistant for his work at Northeast Elementary School.
- Cindy Ceracche, Northeast Elementary nurse, for becoming District 11 representative of the New York State Association of School Nurses.
- Denise Agati, retiring Director of Child Nutrition, for her efforts as a “Healthy School Food Changemaker.”
- Andrew Lesser and Leslie Zolnik, science teachers at Ithaca High School, for receiving their New York State Master Teacher certifications.
- Alina Miller and Max Rubenstein-Miller for having their original pieces selected for inclusion in the NYSSMA Young Composer Honors Concert.
- David Brown, Director of Fine and Performing Arts, for being elected president-elect of the New York State School Music Association.
The next commendation ceremony will be held March 13, and nominations will be accepted beginning in January. For more information on commendations or how to nominate someone, visit http://www.ithacacityschools.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=216.